Fire breaks out at Dubai Mall
Shoppers forced to evacuate part of Dubai Mall after foodcourt fire
Shoppers were forced to evacuate part of Dubai Mall after a fire in the foodcourt area.
The small fire was reported to have broken out at a restaurant on the second floor of the mall, leading to evacuation warnings being handed out in part of the sprawling Emaar-owned mall at around midday.
Air conditioning systems were also said to be have been temporarily switched off as a precaution following the incident at the Lebanese restaurant, Al Hallab.
The fire is understood to have since been extinguished, though, with the mall returning to normal service.
A statement by Dubai Media Office on Twitter said: "A minor fire in one of the restaurants at Dubai Mall has been brought under control."
The Dubai Mall is one of the most-visited shopping centres in the world. Earlier this year, shoppers were forced to evacuate following a suspected gas leak, which was later blamed on teenagers putting helium into the air conditioning system.