Fire breaks out in another JLT tower
Electrical fire knocks out power to 15 floors of apartments at Icon 1
A fire broke out in another building within Dubai's Jumeirah Lakes Towers (JLT) yesterday (Friday) morning.
The fire reportedly took place early in the morning and started in the motor room of the Icon Tower 1.
The electrical fire has knocked out power to floors 18-32 in the building, leaving residents with no air-conditioning.
They have all been told that the cost of alternative accommodation in nearby hotels will be covered by the cost of their insurance, which will pay up to AED: 5,000 per apartment for alternative accommodation.
Naveed Akhtar, who represents the tower's maintenance company, said that he did not expect that residents would need to use the full amount.
He told Emirates 24/7: "I do not think the restoration work will take longer than 10 days."
In November 2012, a fire spread down the exterior cladding of the Tamweel Tower in JLT, causing residents to be evacuated. Police reports suggested the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette butt. The 34-storey tower has yet to re-open.